If there’s anything I’ve learned during my years as an author, it’s that even the best writers benefit from having their work professionally edited. You’ve taken months, perhaps years, to finish that manuscript. Don’t send it off for publication until you’ve made it the best that it can be.
The services listed below are for books of any length that are either fiction or nonfiction, however my preference is for genre fiction. I am also available to proofread nonfiction documents such as training manuals, presentations, marketing brochures, essays, and online website content. Also of note, as an American expat living in the UK, I am experienced in editing documents in both American and British English.
PROOFREADING: The lightest form of text correction, proofreading is not a replacement for editing. It is checking a manuscript after editing. All corrections made in Word Change tracker.
- Read and double-check for spelling and grammatical errors that may have been missed so they don’t make it into the final version of your book.
- Make style consistent for hyphenation, capitalisation, numbers, and abbreviations.
- Flag overused or redundant words or phrases and inappropriate words or figures of speech.
- Check page numbers and page headings.
- FEE: $5/£4 per 1,000 words
COPY EDITING: Suitable for self-publishers and writers wanting a polish prior to agent submission. All corrections made in Word Change tracker.
- Edit for grammar, word choice, sentence structure, paragraphing, and other mechanics of style.
- Check for consistency of mechanics and internal consistency of facts, i.e. Does your main character have blue eyes in one scene and brown eyes in another?
- Check that the language is appropriate for the chosen audience.
- Check dialogue: Does it make sense? Does it flow?
- Flag confusing passages and very long sentences that need tightening or restructuring.
- Tag holes in the plot or points that do not pass fact checking.
- FEE: $6/£5 per 1,000 words
LINE EDITING: The most detailed form of text-correction. Includes careful attention to sentence structures, clarity & rhythms. It is advanced editing requiring major revisions to the document, e.g. translating text written by non-English speaking writers. All corrections made in Word Change tracker.
- Tighten up sentence structure so the language is sharp and clear.
- Address the creative content, writing style, and language use at the sentence and paragraph level.
- Eliminate any words that lessen emotional impact.
- Eliminate any terms or phrases that convey an unintended meaning.
- FEE: $7.50/£6 per 1,000 words
For more information, contact email@example.com